Yorkshire Wolds Way – Part 2: Brough to Near Huggate

Back at Kings cross station, but a little earlier than last time and no having to run the gauntlet of the security muggles like last time.

The journey to Doncaster and then Brough was perfectly pleasant and I alighted in a pretty calm frame of mind – usually there’s a lot of excitement mixed with trepidation at the outset of a trip.

The road walk from Brough to South Cave, chosen as a fast way to rejoin the path without repeating what I’d done only a month ago, helped settle my thoughts further.

So it was that I approached the trail with a sense of letting this trip become whatever it turned out to be rather than attempting to impose some sort of template on it. I would simply walk and decide things a day at a time rather than try to have some sort of masterplan. Provided I could get water at some point each day, then I was my own master.

The road to South Cave actually had a footway beside it the whole way, making this a much less unpleasant experience than it could have been. It wasn’t long before I was crossing under a set of power lines, further along which I’d camped my first night on the trail. It had taken half a day to get there from the original start, and I’d reached this point in an hour or so. The sense of not repeating that first bit along the Humber was clear to see.

In South Cave I popped into the corner shop and stocked up with water, a Rubicon and an ice cream, as has already become traditional for me on this trail. Then it was along the road, and a side lane to rejoin the trail itself.

I reached the signpost and was now back on the trail. A pleasant walk along the edge of Little Wold Plantation, this time I didn’t need a long stop at the bench.

I polished off the walk down Comber, Weedley, Hunsley and East Dales and climbed up into the fields. I even took time for a small detour to a nearby trig point.

Then onto Swin Dale, the highlight of the first trip. For nostalgia’s sake I had a rest stop in the same spot I lunched last time. So so tempted to simply stop there for the day, but it was only 4pm.

So I continued down the dale and into new territory. Another trig point near the wind farm, and a short distance further a handy bench for dinner.

Needing to start finding a stopping point, I diverted off path a kilometre or so to a spot I’d researched, finding the small valley I’d aimed for full of wheat. A spot in the long grass on the slopes opposite would have to do.

There was a lot of tossing and turning listening to the nearby wind turbines and the sound of the wind in the grass and trees. Not to mention the slight slope and bumpiness of the ground I was on. Unsurprisingly I was away fairly early.

As nothing in Goodmanham opened until 10, my target for 2nd breakfast was the Wolds Way Cafe. A few fields and the walk into Goodmanham to cover first though.

I emerged out of a lane to the cafe and was straight in. The time spent there also gave me time to research what places along the way I’d hit during the day.

The news wasn’t good – being a Wednesday most of the pubs were shut around here, and the only real hope was the World Peace Cafe at the Buddhist Centre near Pocklington. Still that was a problem for later in the day.

Onto Londesborough Park and the delightful lakes and parkland there.

Then into the village itself.

Next up was Nunburnholme, where walking out the other side I encountered my only other YWW walkers going my way: a couple B&B’ing it over 7 days.

Now joining a walk marking the 1536 Pilgrimage of Grace over the fields approaching Pocklington. Here having now learned that the Buddhist Centre and cafe was closed for two weeks (it’s like the whole region has been warned I’m coming, I’m sure), the only real option to top up my supplies was to head into Pocklington itself. A mile along the road, then through a golf course brought me to the town. The staple basket of water, cold drinks and ice cream was acquired and then I headed back to the trail. All in all an 8km detour, although in truth it didn’t feel like that much. But I was now sorted.

Of course I could have banged on doors and begged for water, but I don’t like doing that for a number of reasons: the only doors en route were farms likely to be concerned I would be using the water to camp on their land; the randomness of such an approach anyway; and I’d far rather not have to interact with people at all.

Back on the YWW I headed up through a wheat field, crested the hill and looked down on some more dales.

Sylvan Dale was pretty nice, apart from the steep climb back out of it.

Repeated this another couple of times and then found a spot the other side of a dew pond with a decent view. It was close to the path, but I’d seen no one at all for hours. And so it continued, no one came past until I left the next morning.

A much better night’s camp on flatter ground, with better views. Coming up next I’d be hitting the “good bit”…

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.